The many health benefits of Irish moss
- As we like to say, healthy living is the about the organic foods we eat.
- Eating organic foods and super foods like organic kale, spinach, and blueberries is key to optimal health and wellness. Irish moss is making its way on to that list.
- Contrary to the name, Irish moss is not actually a moss.
- It is a type of seaweed that is found along the coast of the Atlantic Ocean, and especially in Ireland. The Irish would take it on long journeys as a good luck charm and a sign of prosperity. When the Irish went through a major famine in the 19th century, and they greatly relied on Irish moss as a main source of nutrition.
- Let’s take a look at the health benefits of Irish moss.
- Antioxidant rich:
- It is an excellent source of antioxidants such as vitamin A and E. Antioxidants protect the body from the effects of oxidative stress, which may help strengthen the immune system and ward off diseases. Dr. Andrew Weil explains, “Oxidative stress is the total burden placed on organisms by the constant production of free radicals in the normal course of metabolism plus whatever other pressures the environment brings to bear (natural and artificial radiation, toxins in air, food and water; and miscellaneous sources of oxidizing activity, such as tobacco smoke).” The effects of oxidative stress are often linked to chronic illnesses such as heart disease and many types of cancers.
- Anti-viral properties:
- Irish moss is believed to have anti-viral properties according to recent research, and is often used to treat conditions such as cold, flu, and mumps.
- Healthy skin:
- Irish moss is often found in skin creams because of their skin healthy vitamins A, E, and K, which keep skin soft and treat skin conditions such as eczema and psoriasis.
- Rich in nutrients:
- Irish moss contains 15 of the 18 essential nutrients that make up our bodies. These nutrients include vitamins A, D, E, F and K. It is also a great source of iodine, potassium, sulphur, and calcium.
- Source of iodine:
- Irish moss is a great source of iodine, which is known to help heal the effects of radiation poisoning.